Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Europe to get 3G iPhone from Vodafone, T-Mobile and Carphone Warehouse

1234  Next
Author Europe to get 3G iPhone from Vodafone, T-Mobile and Carphone Warehouse
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-06-29 13:05
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Europe to get 3G iPhone from Vodafone, T-Mobile and Carphone Warehouse

A new 3G (European) version of the iPhone will be launched Monday in the UK by Apple - in a joint promotion with Vodafone, T-Mobile of Germany, and Carphone Warehouse. It should answer the disappointment with the US version of the iPhone which has been widely slammed for its poor performance as a phone.

Hints of the European launch emerged yesterday when Bill Condie of the London Evening Standard tipped Vodafone to be the official carrier, which will be confirmed Monday. But Voda is just part of the picture, with Apple going for a three-pronged European strategy with carriers - again, responding to disappointment in America with the exclusive deal with AT&T/Cingular.

Shipment date is still unknown, but "on course" for the year-end date predicted last October by Apple CEO Steve Jobs.

Vodafone is currently in an ideal position to take on the iPhone, because its 3G network is hugely under-utilised. Pricing on mobile data is normally prohibitive, but Vodafone has recently revised its 3G data charges down, following "rip-off" complaints from users.

It may even be possible that European data prices will match, or be an improvement on the eye-watering charges announced by AT&T in North America.

The iPhone requires a high speed Internet connection to function properly, both because of its excellent Internet browsing capacity, and also because of its requirement for high quality video, which limits the appeal of the US version.

Writer Condie quoted sources inside Credit Suisse which suggested that France Telecom was in line for a franchise. That is unlikely to be fulfilled, possibly because of Orange's insistence on "strong branding" on any handset it carries. Orange has irritated several phone makers by insisting on disabling technical and user-oriented features which didn't sit with Orange commercial policy.

The appointment of Carphone Warehouse as a virtual network carrier will be a big surprise, however.

T-Mobile CEO Rene Oberman was reported to be "ecstatic" at getting a joint contract, according to insiders. He's expected to be present at the Apple party Monday when the new device is unveiled.

The American version, using only 2G phone technology, goes on sale today. Queues have been forming outside Apple (and other) retail outlets in New York since Tuesday this week.

source

P990i + BT30Q

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2007-06-29 12:34 ]
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-06-29 13:11
enjoy you British men! I'm jealous
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-06-29 13:13
T-mobile is perfect for this. The iPhone is crying out for hi-speed data with comprehensive plans. Its gonna make such a difference.

I wonder if they're gonna take up video calling.

Poor Americans, I feel sorry for them

Great news!

P990i + BT30Q

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2007-06-29 12:16 ]
Aware
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-06-29 13:25
Well....let's see whether CPW get Sim-Free handsets, or Voda locked/branded ones(of course, here in the UK, they HAVE to be unlockable, by law).......

p990i(r6d), n82-1(20.0.062)
* treat people as you expect to be treated! *
a-zott platinum/tttt in ~3 years...
rip expanded call lists!
vincebio
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-06-29 13:28
they will be unlockable, but it doeant require apple to assure it works the same way
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-06-29 13:29
This is definitely gonna up the stakes a bit. Now that the 3G version is on its way there is plenty to think about for the European OEMs.

According to the article, Orange was denied involvement in the launch, citing overzealous branding of their handsets. Who says karma doesn't exist.

HSDPA version soon?

P990i + BT30Q

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2007-06-29 12:33 ]
whentheleveebreaks
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-06-29 13:44
wicked news if true. Will definitely get one.

I hope the service plans are similar to the at&t ones will unlimited data
Posted from an iPhone
vincebio
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-06-29 14:14
actually poeple, im starting to seriously doubt the validity of this story!

how come they seem to mention the iPhone has been slated as a phone??
Where did they read that exactly?

When you think about it, why would t-mobile be involved at all when vodafone has just as much coverage in euroland as t-mobile does??

oh, and Tuesday is apple's product announcment day, not monday

[ This Message was edited by: vincebio on 2007-06-29 13:16 ]
shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2007-06-29 14:16
Sucks for the buyers of the iPhone in the USA. Even before it's released there, a successor is apparently out.
A wooden spoon is a spoon made from wood. Source: Wikipedia

Winner of: Best Thread (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Post (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Signature 2007, and 2nd Best Nickname 2007.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-06-29 14:38
3G functionality is really what Apple needed to get network providers on board; it'll be interesting to see if Vodafone Live! gets preference over the iStore for music purchasing... has Apple backed down on this or reached a compromise?
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-06-29 14:47
I find it quite puzzling that "Orange was denied involvement in the launch, citing overzealous branding of their handsets" when everyone knows that Vodafone are by far the worst with network branding...
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2007-06-29 15:28
I wonder if the 3G iPhone will also be available here in SA on VODAFONE SOUTH AFRICA

White SONY PSP
White Leather Case

[ This Message was edited by: GUCCI.011 on 2007-06-29 14:30 ]
tk338
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-06-29 15:37
Do you think this will increase data plans from network providers? Overall, to compete lets hope O2 UK take note!
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-06-29 15:42

On 2007-06-29 14:47:32, JoolsG4 wrote:
I find it quite puzzling that "Orange was denied involvement in the launch, citing overzealous branding of their handsets" when everyone knows that Vodafone are by far the worst with network branding...

Very true. However Orange have been known to actually disable features such as TrackID in its W850i..
vincebio
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-06-29 15:59

On 2007-06-29 14:47:32, JoolsG4 wrote:

indeed, couldnt agree more, this is bull, and if its not, ill throw my p990 into a river.......though im going to do that anyway
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi