Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > GPRS, WAP, MMS and Email setup > gprs/wap setup for VoiceStream service in US

Author gprs/wap setup for VoiceStream service in US
gomichaelkgo
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-01-23 00:56
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Here are settings for GPRS/ WAP setup in the US:

Before you go setting these parameters up, assure that you are signed up for the IStream service. Contact VoiceStream and get signed onto one of their plans, which cost $3 to $40 monthly.

You'll first set up 2 data accounts, then set up 2 wap profiles. The first data account is for GPRS, the second is for circuit switched.

In main menu, choose "Connect"
Choose 5. Data comm.
Choose 1. Data Accounts
Choose "Add account?"
Choose GPRS data
Name: "VS GPRS Data" or something like that
APN: wap.voicestream.com
userid: (blank)
password: (blank)
---------------
these settings appear when you edit a GPRS account, not when you first set it up. If it doesnt work by only adding the above settings, you may look to see if the additional customizations will work.
-----------------
password request: (off)
allow calls: automatic
IP address: (blank)
DNS address: (blank)

Choose Advanced Settings
Authentication: normal
Data Compr.: off
Header compr: off

Choose Quality of Service
Precedence: normal
Delay: Best effort
Reliability: class 3
Peak Rate: Subscribed
Mean Rate: Subscribed

Now, you'll set up the second data account. From the main menu, again choose connect, data comm, data accounts, add acount.

Account type: GSM data
Name: "VS CSD Data" or something like that
Phone no: +19132440821
User id: wap
Password: (blank)

-----------
These are additional settings (accessible by editing the data account) that you have to monkey with to get it working. After you save and close, choose connect, data comm, data accounts, and then your CSD data account. Choose edit.
-----------
Password request: off
Data Rate: 9.6

Dial type: ISDN (I believe that when you create a new account it defaults to analouge, so you'll have to change this to ISDN)

DNS Address: 208.014.205.005

-------------------
now, you will need to set up two wap profiles, one for the GPRS and one for the circuit switched data (csd).

From the main menu, choose Wap services, WAP settings.

Choose a profile and rename it "GPRS Profile".
Then, from the wap settings menu, choose "Chg homepage".

Edit title to say "Voicestream"
Edit address to: wap.myvoicestream.com (NOT wap.voicestream.com, PLEASE note the difference in the two urls.)

In wap settings, for your profile, choose Gateway, then IP settings.
Connect using: VS GPRS Data (or the name of your GPRS data account. DO NOT use your CSD account, it won't work.)
IP address: 216.155.165.050
User ID: (blank)
Data mode: Conn oriented
Security: off
Show images: on
Response timer: 25 (I am too impatient to wait 300 seconds for a wap page to load)

Now, customize another of the 5 profiles and name it "VS CSD profile". Change the homepage as before.

In wap settings, for your profile, choose Gateway, then IP settings.
Connect using: "VS CSD Data" DO NOT use your GPRS account, it won't work.)

IP address: 010.168.200.050 (different than the GPRS gateway)

User ID: (blank)
Data mode: Conn oriented
Security: off
Show images: on
Response timer: 25 (I am too impatient to wait 300 seconds for a wap page to load)

Additionally, if you want to use the POP email client, you can set up an account in the messaging options. You'll also have to enter the IP address, not the names of your pop and smtp servers. If you want to use GPRS for the POP client, you'll need to subscribe to the internet2.voicestream.com APN, as the wap.voicestream.com APN does not support POP. This will cost you more; the cheapest data plan for internet2.voicestream.com is 5.99 instead of 2.99 for the regular one.

Oh yeah, I've seen this question asked a few times so I'll answer it too: What is the "Service center number" in the SMS options? Set it to 500. 500 is VoiceStream's SMS service center.

[ This Message was edited by: gomichaelkgo on 2002-09-06 19:34 ]
quantumcosmos
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-01-26 17:10
This info is great! I just signed up for iStream here in NY and have a T39 Phone. I also have a buetooth iPAQ (3870) that I want to surf at GPRS 56K speed via the bluetooth connection. Just a couple of questions:
* Are the settings you have outlined all I need to do on the phone side?
* I also noticed you have the data rate set to 9.6 -- I thought iStream GPRS was at 56Kb speeds?
* Do you know where I can get instructions for the iPAQ and Pocket Internet Explorer settings? I know that the bluetooth setting should always be set to "on".

thnanks for your help!
noc
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-01-26 20:20
I have iStream in NJ. I followed your instructions to the letter and everything seems to work as you've described. I've found I can get my pop e-mail accounts through myistream mail as well as through Yahoo, so I think I've navigated around that problem for now. Although I was only able to get them through iStream mail once, and then not again? But, several questions: 1) when I switch over to the CSD Data Account, I still cannot connect to my mail servers - my ISP is cable so I cannot get a static IP address to put in, could this be the problem? 2) VS has 6 or 7 sites bookmarked in their service (Yahoo, United, etc.). These load fine, but any I try to put in (like Zagats) just gives me a response "WAP Gateway: your clilent is not allowed to access the requested object." Why is this and how can I access bookmarks of my choice?
gomichaelkgo
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-02-01 16:43
quantumcosmos:

From the phone side, this is all I have done and it seems to work.

I set the data rate to 9.6 for the CSD Wap profile. I believe that GPRS can achieve the 56k connection speed.

I have seen a link to a website for someone who has a PDA and uses it with their T68. I don't have a PDA. I did see the link here on Esato, so it would be worth a look.
gomichaelkgo
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-02-01 16:54
Noc:

About your mail settings: You do need a static IP address for your POP and SMTP server. I doubt that your cable ISP has a dynamic address for these servers, it is likely that the IP address you've entered is the IP address of your PC itself, not the POP or SMTP servers. Am I right? I have never seen a dynamic POP or SMTP IP address, but I could be wrong.

As far as getting that error, I believe that it is a problem with VoiceStream or the wap site you are trying to access. I have noticed that citysearch.com used to work but no longer does. Often, that error message is displayed when you try to access an HDML (as opposed to WML) site. HDML is the predominant wap standard here in the US, all of the SprintPCS wireless web uses HDML, and they were first with WAP, so that is what many sites support now. We will probably see that change soon. You may also see some sites blocked from the voicestream service. MSN is blocked since VS has partnered with AOL. I think this is terrible and have contacted them. Theoretically, one could get around this bottleneck by using a public WAP gateway like waptunnel.com, but I have not seen any of them that are able to load the MSN page, but this may change in the future.

Incidentally, I was able to view Zagat today on my T68 from the IStream menu. I chose Entertainment, Restaurants, then Zagat to navigate to http://mobile.zagat.com/. Could you be using the wrong URL?
cfneogeo
T68 grey
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-02-11 05:12
I've got everything set up correctly and when I try to go somewhere, I just see connecting message for 44 seconds and then nothing happens.
Is this normal?
I even tried to go to http://esato.com to try downloading some stuff and was presented with 'Connecting' message. I double checked setup and all seems to be correct. Is there anything else?

Thanks,
cfneogeo
T68 grey
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-02-11 05:22
Never mind...
It works now.
I called a friend and then the thing just starts working.
Thanks for putting up such a nice, easy and straight forward documentation on how to setup the phone.
Anybody know if AT&T's new 'mlife' is their GSM strategy. I read a publication a while back that AT&T is adopting the standard.
cfneogeo
T68 grey
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-02-12 18:47
Hello,
Has everyone been able to connect with no problem. I was able to connect just that one time after setup but can't seem to connect ever since.
Dimension
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2002-02-15 08:20
How come my T39's GPRS Data screen doesn't have the "DNS address" field?

By the way, my software version is R2K, if that matters.
jomo25
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-02 20:55
The directions above are great for WAP browsing. If you want to do web browsing from your PDA with your T39 or T68, then you need to set up a separate Data connection for Voicestream's GPRS (iStream) with internet2.voicestream.com as your APN. If you sign up for the $19.99 (PDA) plan for iStream then they activate that APN for you. If you only sign up for the WAP/phone plan, they won't activate it. (Incidentally, if you sign up for the $39.99 (Laptop) plan, then they activate the internet3.voicestream.com APN for you as well that acts as a VPN as well.

The directions for setting up the second data account (as well as the first) can be seen at these links below:
http://mork.home.mindspring.com/ipaqsettings.htm
http://www.codebluecommunications.com/gprs.htm

Now, I haven't gotten this set up working yet, but I think it will work for most. I think my problem is 1 of 3 things. Either I need a firmware upgrade on my phone (T39 running R2K - latest upgrade is R3A, but I need to send my phone to Minneapolis to get it flashed since the T39 isn't widely supported in the US yet). Or my internet2 APN isn't functioning properly (probably not it cuz I had VS check it for me). Or for some reason, my DNS settings posted there aren't working in my area and the DNS settings assigned to my device if left blank aren't functioning. (Incidentally, the DNS settings page doesn't show up on the T39 until you get the firmware upgrade to R2S at least.)

So, I'm probably going to send my phone in this week to get flashed to try that and eliminate that as a variable.

Hope this all helps some of you!
svenbocklandt
W800
PM
Posted: 2002-03-11 14:51
Voicestream now sells a Blackberry that allows you to access your pop3 email using their iStream GPRS network. Does that mean that we will be able to access our yahoo account on our phones too? It doesn't work here with the settings above and the IP addresses that work for yahoo over the dial up account. Does anyone have an idea?
jomo25
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-12 07:41
Here's an update to my message above...

I got my phone back from Ericsson's US Service Center in Minnesota and it now has the latest Firmware - R3B. Upon receipt, I quickly tried it out. I noticed that I now have the DNS setting option under the Data Account setup menu for a GPRS connection. The old firmware did NOT have this.

I was able to connect fine (as I was able to before the flash), but now, once connected, I can actually browse the web on my Jornada!!! So, it seems that the firmware version was the issue. I've heard R2S and R3A also work, but the version I had, R2K obviously didn't...

Download speed varies upon the time of day. Voice takes precedence on Voicestream's netowrk, so during peak hours, access could be slow. I ran tests and I was able to connect at speeds between 26 and 42 Kbps. not blazing, but good enough to do basic browsing on the road...
salireza
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-03-12 07:44
does your new firmware version have the mms/t68i functionality? do you have the # and address of the minosota services center?
gomichaelkgo
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-03-12 08:37
Salireza:

I think this guy has a T39, which can't and wont be getting MMS.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi