Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Sharp GX10 and Vodafone Live!

12  Next
Author Sharp GX10 and Vodafone Live!
Ruvjet
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-10-01 23:35
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
http://k-tai.impress.co.jp/cda/parts/image_for_link/0,,34925-11147-4-3,00.html
(you may have to cut/paste the link.)

Played with the Sharp GX10 today at the Vodafone store on Regent St in London.
I'm not gonna go overboard, because I only had it for 2 mins, but it is very classy.
I knew beforehand that it had Class 10 GPRS, Wap 2.0, 65k TFT screen, MMS, Java, IrDa, 110k camera and all the other flash stuff, but I wanted to know if it did all the basic stuff before I made my purchase.

The Vodafone Live service is the best WAP service I have seen, with almost seemless integration with the handset. At first I couldn't tell that I had gone online, the icons are all the same!

Then the first big test, does it add words in T9? The manufacturers from the Far East all tend to implement this in different ways, but I couldn't find how it was done on this phone. Major disappointment for me, as it makes T9 pretty pointless. The camera was good quality, but I dont think it takes pictures in VGA (640x480) quality. The polyphonic ringtones were very much what I expected, just like the Samsung T100's. Sending an MMS looked pretty easy (easier than my T68i anyway), and I managed to get in a game of air hockey before the sales guy took it away from me. Its a great phone, which I'm pretty sure I will get, even though it has not one, but TWO Vodafone simcard logos on it. The guy in the store said it will be out later this month, and I told him I want a free upgrade!!

Ed.
lingart
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-10-02 00:28
wow.... looks amazing...

how much was it going to be then?

which one that or the panasonic though panasonic doesnt have java.... does it have bluetooth?

ill get it on upgrade too
Ruvjet
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-10-02 00:36
Quote:

wow.... looks amazing...

how much was it going to be then?

which one that or the panasonic though panasonic doesnt have java.... does it have bluetooth?

ill get it on upgrade too

I am faced with the exact same dilemna, but I am leaning towards the sharp because of their soaring profile in Japan, and the Java in the GX10.

Wait til they come out, play with them both, but I can honestly say the integration between the menus of the Sharp and the Vodafone Live service blew me away. and apparently Namco and Taito are signed up to provide Java games for Voda, from classics like Pacman and Space invaders to a mobile version of Tekken!
It will be £199.99, but with the money me and my girlfriend have spent on Voda in the last year, I want it for free!!

No bluetooth on the GD87, although it is not beyond any manufacturer to have a bluetooth battery as an accessory, like Nokia did with the 6210.

As for the design, I like the GX10 when it is open, but prefer the GD87 when it is closed, it is very well designed and symetrical...

Tha choice is yours..
lingart
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-10-02 00:42
you sure out by end of october?? sounds like a bargain

Java will swing it that way for me.... for the sharp - were they big to hold? ie compared to motorola v66?

Ruvjet
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-10-02 01:08
Quote:

you sure out by end of october?? sounds like a bargain

Java will swing it that way for me.... for the sharp - were they big to hold? ie compared to motorola v66?

I have heard different dates, ranging from the 14th to the 25th, but I dont think it will be much later than that.
I havent held the panasonic, but the Sharp was a tiny bit bigger to hold than a v66, the top half is especially long because of the bigger screen and the camera, but its not noticable.
riflogic
W960
PM
Posted: 2002-10-02 12:12
Played with the SHARP GX10 today at a Vodafone store as well with Vodafone live. This phone is cooool. I loved the 65K colour screen. Personally, I do not care at all about polyphonic ringtones. The 120 seconds time limit to play with the phone was not enough at all however I explored as much as I could have. The camera takes pictures just good to be shown on the screen but not to be printed (same as the Panasonic GD87). Bluetooth is missing which is a disappointment and it is not Tri-band either. However, IrDA functionality is present. The icons are the same everywhere and its confusing when you have got just two minutes to find your way round the phone. The GPRS service on Vodafone live WAP was excellent. So all in all, the phone is pretty cooool as I said before but I cannot stand two Vodafone logos staring at me. A good alternative to Panasonic GD87 though.
lingart
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-10-02 12:22
OK guys which store are you playing with the phone at?

you think it will be in the vodafone store in the city as thats where Im currently working/

Sounds pretty cool - shame about the lack of bluetooth.... but then ive not even used bluetooth once on my T68
riflogic
W960
PM
Posted: 2002-10-02 12:26
@ lingart

I was playing with it at Vodafone store in Wimbledon. I am damn sure that it is available in every branch of Vodafone; especially in Greater London, so you should be able to find it in any Vodafone store nearby your workplace.
lingart
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-10-02 12:34
cheers might pop down at lunch and have a look.... could be interesting... bit expensive at 200 squid though.... so might wait a while...
Ruvjet
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-10-02 12:48
Quote:

Bluetooth is missing which is a disappointment

Huge disappointment, although 'The Link' catalogue reckons it has bluetooth and mp3 support. 'Powered by knowledge' my arse!!

Quote:

The icons are the same everywhere and its confusing when you have got just two minutes to find your way round the phone.

I think they have done that to try and make the online experience more seamless, and make themselves more money in the process, when confused newbies can't tell that they are online, eating up kb's in the process.

Quote:

I cannot stand two Vodafone logos staring at me. A good alternative to Panasonic GD87 though.

I don't know, I'm normally dead against the branding of phones (orange style), but this ones different. I love the idea of having a phone that you can not only get only one network, but I dont even think it will be avaiable to buy sim-free. That sort of exclusivity means I can put up with the logos..

[ This Message was edited by: Ruvjet on 2002-10-02 11:50 ]
riflogic
W960
PM
Posted: 2002-10-02 13:15
@ Ruvjet

I never trust The Link. Even their store managers do not know anything at all about phones.

I meant that same icons were confusing when taking into consideration that I only had two minutes to play with it. Otherwise, it will be alright. You should have seen my face when trying to explore all the menus quickly.

I agree that Vodafone logos will kind of make the phone exclusive in the UK as it probably won't be available to buy SIM free; but still I do not like Vodafone logos infront of me all the time
riflogic
W960
PM
Posted: 2002-10-03 23:34
http://www.mobil.cz/obrazek.html?obrazek=sharp_tq-gx10.jpg

[ This Message was edited by: riflogic on 2002-10-03 22:36 ]
Ruvjet
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-10-04 09:34
Review of the GX10 from
www.thefuturelook.com
-------------------------------------------------
Overview.
Snap up the latest MMS camera phone and go straight to the head of the gadget guru queue.

Who is it for?
Techno wizards who know it's important to be first in everything.

Road test
Sharp may be best known for consumer electronics like TVs and camcorders but it's now getting into phones - and it's not doing it by halves. The company has two handsets ready for launch and both of them are little crackers. Both the GX1 and GX10 boast high contrast 65,000-colour TFT screens, built-in digital cameras, MMS (multimedia messaging service) capability, Java for additional games and function downloads, polyphonic ringtones and high-speed internet connections. These features put them up there with the most advanced new phones on the market but the GX10 takes prime position on the catwalk because of its super trendy clamshell shape.

The camera is mounted on the back and incorporates a few handy gadgets. There's a digital zoom for close-ups and improved framing, a timer function so you can get yourself in the picture (there's also a mini mirror) and you can vary the resolution and brightness of any image. It also makes a very satisfying shutter sound when you take a snap. Now all it needs is a flash.

Features
Dual screen - 65,000-colour inner screen, monochrome outer screen, clamshell design, built-in digital camera, MMS, Java capability, infrared port, WAP, GPRS, polyphonic ringtones.

Verdict
There's no doubt that the camera and colour screen will be the GX10's main selling points. But there are plenty of other things to get excited about here. It comes with three games pre-installed - PK Game, Collection Hunter and Air Hockey - but the phone's Java capability means that if you're not satisfied with the games or functions it comes with, you can always download new ones from the web or your PC. There are thousands of Java applications available, created by everyone from multinationals to keen amateurs, so you're bound to find something that you like, from games to personal organisers, currency converters to heart rate monitors.
As well as a full range of organisation tools, including calendar, call manager and voice notes (though there are no voice commands) you can also compose your own polyphonic ringtones, with an orchestra of over 100 instruments to choose from.
As with all today's camera phones, don't expect to be getting David Bailey-style results - they're a fun addition designed for taking quick snaps and sending them on, and for that they're brilliant.

In Brief
View 10/10
Performance 9/10
Ease of use 9/10
Features 9/10
Value 8/10

Total 45/50
--------------------------------------------------------------------
tycho
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-10-04 17:39
I looked at the Vodafone Live service today using the Sharp phone and was completely unimpressed. The service itself seems to offer a few games and ringtones. To be honest I have never and will never pay for a ringtone. You can get so many free ringtones for Ericsson phones and with the P800 and even the 7650 you can use MIDI and WAV files. The phone itself is nice looking but very similar to the Samsung S100. The lack of bluetooth would be taking a step back from my T68 and the Live service seems to be a front end to existing technology and not anything revolutionary. The camera on this phone is low quality but ok if you are only sending mms's. I think I will stick with the T68 and Communicam until the P800 arrives.

[ This Message was edited by: tycho on 2002-10-04 17:01 ]
jai_hou
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2002-10-04 21:26
I also saw it today at vodafone. apparently they said that i could get the phone as an upgrade for £179.99 with £20 deposit even though i have not had the voda contract for a year! The salesman also said that i would get it on the day it came out to coincide with the launch of MMS on voda. The phone itself looks good with much better quality picture (because of the 65000 colour screen) and the camera was OK and also had zoom but not that good as only digital zoom of course. The phone is slightly thicker that T68 but not bulky. Menu system is not bad, like samsung menu system. I have to say i was tempted even though it did not have bluetooth but probably wait to see P800 for real and compare although features wise P800 is no.1.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi