Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Sony taps instant message crowd with the Mylo

Author Sony taps instant message crowd with the Mylo
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-08-08 10:55
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sony taps instant message crowd

Sony is to release a wireless-enabled, handheld device aimed at young people who use instant messaging (IM).

The pocked-sized gadget, called the mylo, will sell for about $350 (£183), according to the Associated Press.

It has a small display and keyboard and is pitched at the young, mainstream market who use IM and are interested in making net telephone calls.

Sony has formed a partnership with Skype for net phone calls and with Yahoo and Google for instant messaging.

The mylo, which stands for "my life online", will only be available in the United States.

The device cannot be used for mobile telephone calls and as such there is no need for a monthly contract or subscription.

Personal communicator

The so-called personal communicator doubles as a portable media player.

It can play music, and screen photos and videos that are stored on its internal one gigabyte of flash memory or optional Memory Stick cards.

What does the mylo mean for the PSP?

It also can stream songs between mylo users within the same network, as long as the users grant permission to share their music files.

Many of the device's functions were touted as part of Sony's PlayStation Portable (PSP) - which was once described by the company as the Walkman of the 21st Century.

It too has wi-fi, can play music and video, display photos and is technically capable of supporting instant messaging and internet telephone calls.

But the wi-fi functionality has yet to be taken advantage of by the company. It is not clear if the mylo will be a rival to, or complimentary to, the PSP.

"Our mylo personal communicator lets you have the fun parts of a computer in the palm of your hand," said John Kodera, a director of product marketing at Sony.

Face competition

The device will face competition from an increasing number of mobile phones that are incorporating wi-fi technology, as well as Microsoft's forthcoming Zune player and a slew of so-called ultra-portable PCs.

Danielle Levitas, an industry analyst at market researcher IDC, told AP that the mylo was a "unique, compelling" product, but said it might fare better at a lower price of $299 (£165).

Although wi-fi is spreading across colleges, coffee houses, airports and entire cities, Mr Levitas said the wireless technology was not yet ubiquitous enough to help Sony break mylo out of a niche market.

"You need enough wi-fi out there to make this a compelling product to reach a wider audience," he said.

PM
Posted: 2006-08-08 11:33
Why only in the US?
mustafabay
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-08 18:56
Because Europe will get a version with GSM/3G.

Please. Please. Please.
I don't want a signature anymore.
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-08 19:33
SONY announces a new pda phone called the \"Mylo\"

ESATO NEWS

[addsig]
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-08 20:04
My PDA can do what MYLO does and more.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
dr_thug
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-08-08 20:05
looks like a lot between PSP and sidekick....pity its only for Usa and Canada.

@axxxr,i was gonna pm u about this news...but missed out,but i put a link about it in SE India thread.
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-08 20:23
you should have PM'd me ....never mind!

Here's a video of the Mylo in action: WATCH HERE [addsig]
Vein
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2006-08-20 15:14
Is this just a concept or will it be developed as Sony Ericsson?

Hmmm I did think it to be an odd shaped PSP successor but.. who knows.

Nokia 8800 + Nokia 9300

[ This Message was edited by: Vein on 2006-08-20 14:15 ]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-20 15:39
Its not a concept..have a look at the News Link.

http://www.esato.com/news/article.php/id=1005

[ This Message was edited by: axxxr on 2006-08-20 14:41 ]
p900 lover
W960
PM
Posted: 2006-08-20 16:42
I like it but what about the psp, they could have just developed a keyboard attachment for the psp. Also there is no support for MSN messenger just yahoo. I dunno about the states but in the UK msn is more popular. but that's not a problem as the UK WONT be getting it any time soon, if at all.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi