Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Ericsson hint at using Wega brand for mobile phones

12  Next
Author Sony Ericsson hint at using Wega brand for mobile phones
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-08-31 09:16
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sony Ericsson hint at using Wega brand for mobile phones

31 August 2006 - Sony Ericsson has hinted at using Sony's WEGA television branding for its mobile phones geared towards watching television.

"We have plans," Rikko Sakaguchi, Senior Vice President of Product and Application Planning told Pocket-lint at a press conference in Malmo, Sweden.

Mr Sakaguchi who is responsible for new products released by the mobile phone giant, went on to say "It is a very viable idea and it is something we are planning, watch this space."

The comment is the first time the mobile phone company, which already uses Sony's Walkman and Cyber-Shot branding devices on its music and camera phones implied that it was looking to do the same for mobile television focused phones.

However the company ruled out the possibility of launching a handset with a DVB-H tuner that allows you to watch digital television on the go.

The company also suggested that a solution dedicated to watching media on demand was on the cards with the company seeing mobile viewing as the next big thing

"It is fair to assume we want to take the Sony Ericsson brand further" Mr Sakaguchi said.

The company also hopes to expand its new Blogger tool to include video support. The tool, which is currently available on the Sony Ericsson's K800 allows users to snap a picture and upload it directly to a blogger account to share with friends and family on the web.

A video option could work in a similar way as the Blogger tool with a third party like YouTube or Google Video allowing users to upload videos from their phone directly to the service.

In related news, Mr Sakaguchi also said the company was planning on launching a thin phone to compete with Samsung's X830 in the near future

We will keep you posted.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-08-31 10:07
What strikes me is the comment :-

"However the company ruled out the possibility of launching a handset with a DVB-H tuner that allows you to watch digital television on the go."

Translates to - "there will be no free-to-air enabled TV handsets from - it will more than likely be pay-per-view, for mobileTV programmes.

That sucks!!! Sharp have released a handset capable of receiving broadcasts. Why not ?

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2006-08-31 09:09 ]
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-31 15:27
@ goldenface

at the end of the day everybody got to eat.

SE sell the phone....they get the profit however the story cannot end here/

however their product need to be used thru a mobile operator network which bought network equipment from network equipment supplier

so they must have a mobile TV solution tht benefit all mah.

defintely those network operator will like to have a system tht can charge user when subscribe to all kind of service...i believe i never see any network operator offer free stuff except for "FREE customer support".....maybe in some country, they charge it as well

If SE make every device tht cannot give maximize profit to network operator....then those operator might just drop picking their phone.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-08-31 15:43
@c96sthl

There are other ways for operators to rake in revenue. Advertising is one.

Plus, They would already charge for accessing the TV channels, £10 / month which would be popular.

Then there is the cost of the handset in the 1st place.

However, it sounds like are planning to launch a service similar to Playnow but for access to TV Programming.

EDIT: The Screen we have just seen launched on the W43S would be perfect for a WEGA handset.

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2006-08-31 14:51 ]
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-31 15:56
yup if they plan to have pay per view

part of the profit will go to SE and operator

almost forgotten that they are also trying to break away from just being a phone maker

they also try to be a content supplier.....they cannot touch the network section since ericsson is doing tht and ericsson is also working on doing managing of mobile network for mobile operator.

it just match nicely on the statement of

everybody got to eat
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-08-31 16:19
@c96sthl

We know everyone has to have their "piece of the pie".

As long as the customer gets the biggest slice then there'll be no worries.

It looks like 2007 before this wil be even announced.
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-31 17:55
i never see tht in mobile phone industry....they think about giving consumer the biggest profit hehehe

but then we all are so addicted to mobile phone.......so maybe tht's where we assume we get our profit hahahaha
JAGUY85
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-31 22:49
The future for Sony Ericsson looks bright.

This message was posted from a 6230
QuickShare
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2006-09-01 15:28
from Quickshare, to Walkman, then Cybershot.. now Wega for .. i'll predict a swivel wide screen phone for this brand
My Flickr Site..
Flickr.com
Most Popular Newbie 2006
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2006-09-01 15:34
@quickshare....

swivel design is dead...se w900 is the last swivel to be made from se. They claim it takes to much room, of coruse leading to large phones, or something along the lines of that. But no more swivels
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-09-01 15:35
@Quickshare

Do you reckon? Something like this?

JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2006-09-01 15:43
Quote:

On 2006-08-31 10:07:03, goldenface wrote:
What strikes me is the comment :-

"However the company ruled out the possibility of launching a handset with a DVB-H tuner that allows you to watch digital television on the go."

Translates to - "there will be no free-to-air enabled TV handsets from - it will more than likely be pay-per-view, for mobileTV programmes.

That sucks!!! Sharp have released a handset capable of receiving broadcasts. Why not ?

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2006-08-31 09:09 ]

Argh!! But that supposed to be the point of launching the Wega with
DVBH with wega screens would def be a seller!!
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-09-01 15:52
@786KBR

I know! its the operators dictating to us what we can and cannot watch with DVB-H.

They're saying we won't be able to roam and tune in to just any programme we want. Bugger!
QuickShare
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2006-09-01 15:58
@ads1107
you get me wrong mate actually i mean the phone with the swivelable screen .. maybe its clamshell type or candy bar shape? swivel the screen might look a bit like wide-screen

@goldenface
kinda.. maybe can redesign the shape or something

EDIT: and erm.. i bet the next generation of WEGA brand phone wont be small like K750i though your eye never satisfide with the small screen

[ This Message was edited by: QuickShare™ on 2006-09-01 15:01 ]
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2006-09-01 16:01
@quickshare
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi