Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > GPRS, WAP, MMS and Email setup > Update: how to set up email Pop/Smtp for Yahoo!

Author Update: how to set up email Pop/Smtp for Yahoo!
zucchini
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2001-12-12 01:29
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
btw, are u from UK? im using Vodafone UK and trying the dl the email via GPRS
Harleydog
P900
PM
Posted: 2001-12-12 01:30
Zuch- I had this problem, try to change the last numbers in the smtp server from 12 to 10, for some reason this permitted me to connect to the server.

gomichaelkgo
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2001-12-12 02:35
Here, in option 4 you only put samkcm37. It is essentially the "login" for the server.

Put samkcm37@yahoo.com in option #8, which is the email address. Your phone will use this value in the "Reply to" field with the emails that you compose with your phone.

Harleydog, is yours working now?

Quote:

On 2001-12-12 00:59, zucchini wrote:
okie, lets get this straight,

in option 4, mailbox, do i enter samkcm37, or samkcm37@yahoo.com?

[ This Message was edited by: gomichaelkgo on 2001-12-12 02:41 ]
gomichaelkgo
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2001-12-12 02:58
Are you sure? I tried to change my yahoo SMTP server from 12 to ten and this is what happened:

1. I was able to send/receive (as long as I didn't have any email to send)
2. When I composed a message and tried to send it, I got a "Send failed" error.

Changing the SMTP IP address back to 12 rectified the problem.

Basically, when you hit send/receive the phone connects to the POP server to check mail, and uses the SMTP server to send mail. If you don't have any messages waiting to be sent, the phone only tries to CONNECT to the smtp server, and doesn't try to SEND anything through it. Setting the SMPT server IP address to 10 essentially makes your phone connect to the Yahoo POP server twice. Then, if there's any mail to send, you get an error because Pop servers can't send mail, they only allow read access to it.

One thing I thought of here is that some of you may be trying to use pop and SMTP servers that require different login/password combos. It's possible to use the email function with Yahoo because your login/pass is the same for the two servers, but if you wanted to use a different ISP's server for one of them and Yahoo's for the other, it would fail because your login would likeley be different, and the T68 is set up to use the same login/pass for both the SMTP server AND the Pop server.

Quote:

On 2001-12-12 01:30, Harleydog wrote:
Zuch- I had this problem, try to change the last numbers in the smtp server from 12 to 10, for some reason this permitted me to connect to the server.

jh67
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2001-12-12 03:42
I've tried it out too,..doesnt work

I get "wrong mailbox or password".

The "enable POP-access" feature,..where exactly is this ? cant seem to find it anywhere.

The only place in the yahoo.mail section, where pop is mentioned, is if you want to add i.e. your normal email-account. So that you can read it from Yahoo.mail.
I've been using this for a while, works fine.

But the "enable pop-access and "pop-access and forwarding", web and pop-access,..this I cant see anywhere ???

The only options I get, is to "add" a pop/email-address, for example my own private email.

Jan

gomichaelkgo
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2001-12-12 03:49
1. Go to mail.yahoo.com on the web and sign in.

2. Go to Options
3. In the mail management column, choose the last option labeled "Pop access and forwarding"
4. Choose "Web and POP access" (do not confuse this with "check other(pop) mail")
5. Choose "Text only" in step 2 on this page
6. Click Submit

Quote:

On 2001-12-12 03:42, jh67 wrote:
I get "wrong mailbox or password".

The "enable POP-access" feature,..where exactly is this ? cant seem to find it anywhere.

jh67
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2001-12-12 04:17
hmm....I have an email-adress on the Danish version of yahoo, which means the email ends with yahoo.dk.

I enter http://mail.yahoo.com,..but it "turns" danish immediatly after I sign in.
I have one option in the left column,..when I choose this, there's only one thing where it says pop3, and thats the "check other pop3-mail".

I dont seem to have the other options at all ??
This really pisses me off

I want this to work somehow, just dont know how right now

Jan

Harleydog
P900
PM
Posted: 2001-12-12 16:22
GoMichaelKgo, you are true to your name, genius almost.

after much frustration, i read your email this morning and the key for anyone who is getting a send fail option is that the mailbox address must be your yahoo mailbox address, not another address where you want your mail forwarded. Once i put this option in, it works like a charm

GMG, thanks for your patience

HD-
gomichaelkgo
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2001-12-12 19:56
Harley, I'm glad you got it working. I knew it had to be something. Now to decide if checking email on your phone is actually useful! I'm around a computer all day and get an SMS when I receive new email anyway, so I have found that I don't actually use it that much. Though, it is quicker to access my yahoo mail this way on my phone than to sign on to p5.oa.yahoo.com. It takes forever to key in your login and password every time on the wap page.

Jan, I suggest writing to the Yahoo! help people. They will be able to tell you if you are allowed pop access to your yahoo.dk mail account. On the US yahoo.com site, there is usually a button at the bottom of any particular help topic that says "Is this enough information?". Clicking no will allow you to submit a question to Yahoo.

Also, Jan, the yahoo help file states:
Note to users of international Yahoo! Mail accounts:

Your incoming and out going mail server settings may be slightly
different from those listed above. The last part of your mail server
settings will always be the same as the domain (the part of your email
address after the @ sign) of your account. For example, if your email
address is user@yahoo.co.uk, your POP settings will be as follows:

-Incoming Mail (POP3) Server pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk
-Outgoing (SMTP) Server smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk

So, Jan, you may need to find the IP address for pop.mail.yahoo.co.dk or whatever the pop and smtp servers are called on Yahoo.dk.

[ This Message was edited by: gomichaelkgo on 2001-12-12 20:24 ]
jh67
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2001-12-13 00:02
Michael : Thanks anyway
I've talked to another person about Yahoo!dk version,..and they dont seem to support pop3 at all,..at least not yet.
So I guess that was the problem.

Well anyway, my own internet/mail-provider just informed me yesterday, that they will allow "email to be read/written" from their from cell-phones/handsets, from 1.january 2002.....soooo I'm just waiting for that to work
Really looking forward to this.

Jan

gomichaelkgo
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2001-12-13 03:35
Jan, in the meantime you could always read your Yahoo email over a Wap site. You can try

p5.oa.yahoo.com

or

wap.yahoo.com

I've had problems with wap.yahoo.com. I can read email, but the calendar and address book don't work correctly.

Good luck!
zucchini
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2001-12-13 17:19
thats what im doing now, accessing the vizzavi.co.uk wap site in the uk to read my email, it is not that bad using GPRS...
dmatacin
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2001-12-16 16:34
[quote]
In my case I needed IP address in numbers.
You can ping address with command prompt(XP)
typing ping -t pop.your address (in my case ping -t pop.hinet.hr for Hinet in Croatia).Only with numbers my e-mail client works.Same with smtp.
jh67
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2001-12-16 16:45
GOMICHAEL > yep,..I am using the wap-part of Yahoo to read my email, for now.

Works quite well actually

Jan
dogpound
T68i
PM
Posted: 2001-12-16 17:16
works perfectly! Hey guys read the instructions and follow it you wont have any problems. Also, in the reply address use the _______@yahoo.com of your account and I used the Gprs system !Very Fast!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi