Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Ericsson unveils plans for opening up UIQ

12  Next
Author Sony Ericsson unveils plans for opening up UIQ
hymie
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-02-14 09:37
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
3GSM, Barcelona – February 14, 2007 – Sony Ericssonheld a media and analyst briefing today to issue an open invitation to phone vendors to become shareholders in UIQ Technology AB following Sony Ericsson’s acquisition of the Swedish software company from Symbian Ltd on February 2. UIQ Technology AB licenses the UIQ user interface framework and application suite to phone vendors. At the briefing Sony Ericsson President Miles Flint said that UIQ will remain an independent company and that phone vendors are invited to license UIQ as well as become shareholders in the company.

Miles Flint emphasised the industry’s need for a strong independent cross-vendor open user interface platform for business and multimedia feature phones and said “By licensing UIQ, handset vendors will be able to share development costs and create a unified market for third party developers resulting in both a richer media and mobile internet experience for consumers”.

Sony Ericsson is already a licensee of UIQ and has shipped a number of phones based on Symbian OS and UIQ such as the P990 business-centric smartphone and the high-end Walkman W950 with 4GB of onboard storage.

Per Aspemar, Head of Strategy at Sony Ericsson, explained “UIQ Technology is already set up as an independent company and prepared for multiple owners through a holding company. Sony Ericsson has gained valuable experience through its ownership and involvement with Symbian, and believes it has the ability to set UIQ Technology up so that it offers an attractive alternative for a wide variety of phone vendors looking for an independent open user interface platform.”

Johan Sandberg, CEO of UIQ Technology, is very encouraged by Sony Ericsson’s intention to keep UIQ both phone vendor and chipset independent. “UIQ offers a truly personal and rich user experience plus fantastic flexibility for developers, operators and phone vendors as it supports many form factors in one code base as has been illustrated by UIQ products announced at 3GSM,” explains Johan Sandberg. “It is easy to port applications between S60 and UIQ on the Symbian platform making it an appealing option for developers.”

Sony Ericsson is in discussions with handset vendors regarding expanding the future ownership of UIQ Technology but wanted to use the opportunity of 3GSM in Barcelona to issue an open invitation to them. Sony Ericsson expects to make further announcements about new shareholders and licensees in the coming months.

Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications serves the global communications market with innovative and feature-rich mobile phones, accessories and PC-cards. Established as a joint venture by Sony and Ericsson in 2001, with global corporate functions located in London, the company employs over 7,500 people worldwide, including R&D sites in Europe, Japan, China and America. Sony Ericsson celebrated the 5th anniversary of the start of the joint venture on 1st October, 2006.

Sony Ericsson is the global title sponsor of the Women's Tennis Association, and works with the Association to promote the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour in over 80 cities during the year.

For more information on Sony Ericsson, please visit www.sonyericsson.com

About UIQ Technology
UIQ Technology AB is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB. UIQ Technology creates and licenses the open software platform, UIQ, to leading mobile phone manufacturers. The flexible and customizable user interface and development platform is pre-integrated and tested with Symbian OS, the leading industry standard operating system for mobile phones. www.uiq.com

FOR MEDIA INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:

Sony Ericsson Corporate Communications & PR
Merran Wrigley – Telephone: +44 (0) 7887-628-358
Aldo Liguori - Telephone +44 (0) 7951-937-972
General Press Telephone: +44 (0) 208 762 5858
E-mail: press.global@SonyEricsson.com
hymie
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-02-14 10:33
So alas, as expected.. no sexy new UIQ phone at 3GSM.

>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2007-02-14 10:37
ok before any one jumps to any conclusions thats a photoshop by Deuxani and not the real Elena, though it may even look similar the real thing..... but yes, it is SEXY!!!!

Elena is rumoured to have a red backlit keypad.... the phone it self may well be black, or maybe gun metal grey. Thats what Sneff said. and the phone will be metal

[ This Message was edited by: jedi-master on 2007-02-14 09:45 ]
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-02-14 10:44
Quote:

On 2007-02-14 10:37:40, jedi-master wrote:
ok before any one jumps tp any conclusions thats a photoshop by Deuxani and not the real Elena, though it may even look similar the real thing.....

Fooled me for a second
petrutms
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2007-02-14 11:02
what can you do these days in photoshop...
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2007-02-14 11:37
That's it! Just an invitation to vendors. They made a closely related invitation to this to programmers about 2 months ago. What a waste of my anticipation and time!
Bambino
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-02-14 12:53
@ems06
I'm with you
Car Lazar
T610
PM
Posted: 2007-02-14 13:28
This SE waiting is killing my patience ...
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-02-14 13:48
Hi all,
I think before SE will be able to get any investors they will need to prove they can develop software and code that actually works and isn't full of bad code and memory leaks. Sorry but to me this just reinforces my opinion that SE had no choice but to buy UIQ and now they are looking for others to fund it's development surely if it was the great OS we would be led to believe they would just license it to others and rake in the cash. Why the need to sell of parts of it others? or are they just such nice people they want to share the profits somehow i doubt it.

Marc
Blackberry Bold, V4.6.0.214, 8GB SDHC, Pin2553F455
Honoured to have Won Best Debater for the 2nd Year
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-02-14 14:10
Man, you just can see nothing good coming from SE, and refuse to accept the eventual sucess and grouth of UIQ

Some months from now, i will quote you again, just like when you said no other company besides SE would support UIQ, right at same time Motorola announced their UIQ 3.1 device, the first of several...this is how right you are seeing things

Sorry
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
RayKnight
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-02-14 16:24
@Ares: Sorry????!!! Why?? You are so right!!! [addsig]
koolezt
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-02-15 10:16
Briefly, it looks like SE is trying to unload a white elephant, having failed to make it a hit. See here for a more thorough opinion.
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-02-16 01:31
that link you supplied has arguments both for and against, it's by no means conclusive.

SE actually move towards a more open development structure and you say it's a sign of the Death of UIQ. If they keep it to themselves, you anti-UIQ mob say it will die from lack of application support.

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2007-02-16 00:32 ]
koolezt
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-02-26 01:55
Not necessarily the death of UIQ.

Taken together with the announced uiq 3.1 intentions, it suggests apparently reduced support by SE for existing uiq 3.0 flagship phones, which, after about 6 months, are only now reaching the state buyers expected at launch.
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-02-26 02:16
Well said koolezt,
and as i said if it was so good why the need for other investors why not just license it and rake in the royalties. Instead of just attacking my opinion explain why this should be necessary as it does not make good business sense to me. Yes i dare criticize SE for their actions but if you are going to disagree please go a bit further than i am wrong and actually explain why i am so wrong if you can, and wait and see really doesn't cut it as a response IMO.

Marc
Blackberry Bold, V4.6.0.214, 8GB SDHC, Pin2553F455
Honoured to have Won Best Debater for the 2nd Year
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi