123 ... 91011  Next
Author E90 review
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-08-09 17:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi all,

As the proud owner of an E90 i thought i would give you all a quick review of the first 48hrs.

Picked my E90 up late Tuesday afternoon got home and left it on charge, on waking up turned it on and set up the correct time date and changed to the digital clock. Inserted my Micro SD card and set my ring tone and message tones. I then proceeded to sync with Outlook all my contacts and over4,000 calendar entries which was followed by sending my E-Mail account set up from the Nokia website it automatically configured all my T-Mobile settings just from putting in the Sim card as it appears to be with a lot of the newer Nokia's.

After this i then proceeded to install and activate my apps which are

Handy Taskman
Handy Clock
Handy Safe
Screenshot
Worldmate free edition not Pro
Vox
Flickr

I then configured my WiFi to work with my Router and all this was done within 1 hour. The only gripe i have is that i had to manually enter my voice mail number for some strange reason it didn't read it off the Sim Card but hardly the end of the world.

After all this my E90 was now fully operational first i have to say this device is know where as large or heavy as i was expecting it is IMO smaller and lighter than a TYTN and just so much better. The outer screen is just like any other S60 3rd Edition Device all be with all the benefits of the E series plug ins allowing for plenty of customisation for the owner. The extra size and views given on the large screen are just so useful and easy on the eye. This is the first device i have had that can visit ESATO with out the need to side scroll the page. Everything works as it should and it fast to truly a convergence device IMO the best of my E61 and N95 combined into one unit. I have only other minor criticism of the E90 why fit a 2.5m jack when a 3.5 would of just been so much better IMO, but having managed to find and adapter just today i am now listening to my Music once more in excellent quality and am more than happy.

That's really all i can say for now as am still heavily medicated and in bad pain will try and add more as it occurs to me, Esato will always get my first reports although for a more in depth review feel free to visit my E90 blog in my signature which should be up and running in a couple of days. This blogging lark isn't as easy as it looks trust me.

Marc

Nokia E90 Dogmanns Blog Experience @http://dogmann.vox.com/
Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-08-09 16:20 ]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-09 17:30
thx for this marc did u gave a try for fring too?
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
DickySnapples
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2007-08-09 17:37
nice review.look forward to a more in depth one. Will try and get one up myself when i get a chance

[ This Message was edited by: Dicky Snapples on 2007-08-09 16:38 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-08-09 18:04
Hi Boba and all,

Contacted Fring late last night and received an answer this morning you really got to respect those guys not only a first class app but excellent customer service and all for free amazing really.

They are already working on it and expect to have it ready soon it's worth a little wait if i have to IMO. Dicky as i said this was just a start am slowly coming out of my drugged stupor so should start putting a better review together over the next couple of days well i hope so anyway.

Marc
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-09 19:03
how comes, that e90 deosnt support the well known and working fring app? just curious...
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-08-09 22:40
Hi Boba

Not sue i may try installing the N95 version just to see what happens could be interesting.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-08-09 21:40 ]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-09 22:50
pls tell me about the os. is it fast?

This message was posted from a E60-1
Nickp990
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-08-10 00:22
how many ram this phone have?and how maximum memory stick we can use
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-08-10 00:38
@nikolap990

Installed Ram is 128mb and currently 4gb Micro SDHC cards are the largest available but are hot swappable, and there should be 6 & 8gb cards before the end of the Year and next Year i would imagine it is quite possible we may see 16gb or even the mystical 32gb card.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-08-09 23:40 ]
themarques
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-08-10 01:13
Can anyone that uses Truphone please check that its working? I know if its not supported those guys at truphone will crack out on it very soon,
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-10 13:39
Did you get a chance to play with the video rec. ? Is the quality better then the N95's ? And how about the onboard GPS? And how does the screen compare to the N95's when viewed outdores in the sun. (the poor P-series touch screen is THE REASON I never bothered with a touch screen). N80 is still one of the best there is atm. Let us know about the battery/on time, please. Greetings from South Africa. Mario
'Better govern our selfs the wrong way, then be governed by 'others' the right way.'
- Robert Mugabe - Freedom fighter comarade, peoples hero and President of Zimbabwe.
jakontil
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2007-08-10 14:11
hi marc, when it comes out of the box, is the becklight on the keyboard off? where is the setting so that i could set it on?

n95 fring version should work ok, they use the same os
I capturing sexy women on the beach
I

This message was posted from an iphone
DickySnapples
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2007-08-10 14:54

On 2007-08-10 14:11:28, jakontil wrote:
hi marc, when it comes out of the box, is the becklight on the keyboard off? where is the setting so that i could set it on?

pressing the bulb icon in the top left hand corner of the keyboard will turn the backlight on. its quite dim so isn't that noticeable in daylight

[ This Message was edited by: Dicky Snapples on 2007-08-10 13:54 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-08-10 16:42
Hi Boba and all,

Fring installs but gives a not supported message and does not run, i can wait a little while till the wonderful people at Fring have sorted this out as I'm pretty sure it won' be long.

I have now encoded The Simpson's Movie into into MP4 using my Movavi software just using the same settings as for an iPod great results except for it creates a 608mb file DOH!

Which means for now i will just have to carry less films and Video's then i am used to as will wait till later this Year for the 6gb or 8gb card to arrive unless of course i just weaken and get 2x4gb hm mm decisions decisions. But i must say watching a MP4 in full screen mode is really quite amazing.

The only comment i have on the Multimedia side of things with the E90 is one i wish it had a 3.5m jack instead of 2.5m as would of preferred to just plug my Shure's straight in but not really anything terrible. Also i would have to say that the volume through the loud speakers is higher on the N95 again not a deal breaker for me as through the headphones it is still stunning quality and more than loud and clear enough.

Basically since late Tuesday when i got my E90 i have not been very well so have not really done to much yet other than replicate my set up from previous devices. I am going to try one of the push E-Mail solutions as Windows Live has now stopped working on my N95 and E61 as i think Microsoft pulled the plug as it was meant to only be for testing and far to many people were using it.

I really don't like adding apps that i don't really need or use but would like my MSN.com mails automatically downloaded as opposed to having log on to MSN.com to retrieve them. I will also be installing Tom Tom 6 to work with my external GPS receiver onto the free 512mb card as i don't use it on a daily basis and hate the maps and voices showing up in the Gallery. Beside those two bits of software there really is nothing else i can think i might need right now other than Ultimate Voice Recorder as apparently installing this app helps Tom Tom run smoothly on the full screen. how or why i have no idea but i am willing to try anything once.

Sorry Mario but i have no intention of using the inbuilt GPS as marvellous as it may or may not be i seriously doubt it is as good as my Holox BT-321 stand alone receiver and Tom Tom so really can't see the point.

As i said earlier battery life is really good and if not hammering it can survive without a daily charge although unless i forget i do charge my devices daily. Just waiting for my Bugatti case and Martin Fields screen protectors to arrive for my full spec device.

Am i happy i decided to go for it? definitely i am very happy indeed especially as i am not finding it to be as large or heavy as i expected and so far it's performance is nothing short of stunning. It really is quite hard to explain how the display of additional information on the inside screen is, it just makes everything quicker and easier to do with a richer user experience as a result. I am pretty confident that the E90 will stay with me even longer than the 9 months my N93 lasted as until the OMAP3 Chip devices start appearing with 7.2mbps HSDPA there really is nothing that will tempt me away from what i consider for now to be king of the smart phones.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-08-10 16:12 ]
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-10 16:46
I saw that E90 has a different music player than the conventional E and N series one. Is this one better or easier or are the changes merely cosmetic?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
123 ... 91011  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic