Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Is SE trading innovation for marketshare and design ?

1234  Next
Author Is SE trading innovation for marketshare and design ?
Alexandra
W810 white
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-15 14:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
All of SE's recent phones look like they have been designed to cater for the fashion-conscius, and I can see why; the Motorazr (a.k.a. Satan) was the highest selling mobile.

Look at it this way. The K770 is just a downgraded K800, like the T650. The K850 lacks features and has to make do with an awkward D-pad solution just so the phone can be smaller.

The W910 sacrifices a camera for the sake of slimness. You might say fair enough, it's a Walkman. However, it is the highest- end Java walkman (its price is higher than that of the K850), and its predecessor had a good camera. And what's worse is that the K550 also has to make do with a bad cam for the sake of slimness, and it's a Cyber-shot! The Z750 is another high-end with a bad cam.

The W880 is just an all-round crippled phone. No camera, radio or IrDA (as well as many other features) are missing from it, just to make it thin. And those buttons- yeuch! Just so it doesn't stick out in your pocket? What about that TINY screen and poor sound quality? All of those points apply for the W660, except for the radio. So much for a high-end phone.

The only full-featured new SE is the W960, and that's Symbian

What happened to trailblazing phones like the T39, T68, T610, K700, K750? It seems that SE's meaning of high-end is now "fashionable and glossy". Why, SE? Why? [addsig]
kimot01
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-15 14:28

On 2007-09-15 14:14:26, Alexandra wrote:
All of SE's recent phones look like they have been designed to cater for the fashion-conscius, and I can see why; the Motorazr (a.k.a. Satan) was the highest selling mobile.

why satan???

the only problem with w960 is it uses manual focus
you can always find one if you know where to look

i myself
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2007-09-15 14:38
Oh, GOD, Don't you think that people should actually have a choice when they want to buy a SE phone? Say, you want a 3.2MP phone. Having just one K800 with 3.2Mp camera wouldn't be impressive at all. People want to have a choice between different looks and relatively the same specs. Say, someone wants to buy a phone with a good 3.2 MP camera but what's more - the buyer wants the phone to look more modern-y. He buys the K770.
Variety is a good thing.

And W910's camera isn't sacrificed for the sake of slimness (alone), but also for the the sake of price (mainly) and looks (and brand name). If you want a better camera, just buy a K series phone.

As for the W880 - IMO, every phone manufacturer should have at least one ultra-slim phone to compete with the others. Some people like those. And it's also crammed with features. So that's a good thing.

See, SE makes one innovative phone and then makes some spin-offs so that they can add a bit of variety to what the customer may choose.
gola
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2007-09-15 14:40
look at it like this,SE is making phones that people want.if you want a thin phone,you going to have to compromise on features.besides,they not forcing you to buy what they offer,its your choice...btw,he uses a prada phone

@kimot01-i thought the w960i has af...
"Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do!"
Proverbs 4: 7
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2007-09-15 14:45
Ya.. it does have AF
Makes some good pictures, too!
gola
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2007-09-15 15:01
Phew! ! !thanks for clearing that up nightblade.next time u make a joke like that kimot01,please tell us
"Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do!"
Proverbs 4: 7
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-15 17:26
alexandra got a point there. se fones look way too fancy and cool,but inside nothing new. u pay for the design mainly,but that asian influence doesnt matches european traditions,where in and outside play a common role. well, no wonder, /// made fones since almost 100 years and sony?

This message was posted from a E60-1
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-15 17:30
We shouldn't mistake innovation for high-end specs. Yes SE provides variety by producing spin-offs of their phones to cater to different needs but it's getting a really boring because there's no innovation anymore from SE. It's always the same thing with really, really minor variations. Even the high-end flagship specs are trailing far behind Nokia, while Samsung, HTC & LG are raising their game. Probably SE is just being at the bottom of the wheel ATM but at this rate, I'm really not sure if they can be on top again. It's really sad because Ericsson's innovation was what's fuelling my loyalty all this while. It was Ericsson that produced the MCA-10, the first camera for GSM mobile phones in the world that has evolved into the world's first commercially available 5mp cameras

And remember the HPM-10 which unleashed the revolutionary mobile music from our very phones. Look at how much mobile music has influenced our way of life to date.

And not to forget the first PDA-Phone concept in R380 which paved way to today's tagline "It's what computers have become"

Sony Ericsson is now reduced to selling their Cybershot and Walkman brandnames which seemed to be the natural and intelligent thing to do to raise their level at one point but I guess they just got complacent since then. I really miss their innovative days and I really hope with Ericsson's current development of HSUPA technology it'll put SE back on the map one fine day.

BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-15 17:44
very well formed, clever and logical post, do appreciate to read it! indeed, seems cybershot amd wm keep se alive, what means for me, that /// should finish the merge and let sony alone. let them suffer and see, how they survive.

This message was posted from a E60-1
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-15 19:11
Let me give you one simple reason why SE is still selling crap:
Its because people buy them! What business sense does it make to invest into something more expensive when people are willing to buy the cheap crap SE gives? You say W880 has nothing, but people buy it! People buy the W910! In the end SE is getting a lot of money from the crap they make so they dont need to change anything, it wont be wise.
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2007-09-15 19:20
Well either way, if we don't BUY them, with what money do you expect them to invent phones with higher specs. and research new technologies, huh? It'll be worse then. Besides, I wouldn't buy anything else than a Sony Ericsson. Seriously.

Maybe they're just coming up with something BIG...!:)

And W880 and W910 are both great phones, IMO.

[ This Message was edited by: NightBlade on 2007-09-15 18:21 ]
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-15 19:24

On 2007-09-15 19:20:34, NightBlade wrote:
I wouldn't buy anything else than a Sony Ericsson. Seriously.

[ This Message was edited by: NightBlade on 2007-09-15 18:21 ]

Then dont expect things to change anytime soon!
And they have the money regardless of whether we buy or not. Didnt they make S700 when SE was a new company? Where did the money come from then? S700 was a seriously kick ass phone!
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2007-09-15 19:30
Yes, and that's a single phone! Now that they've become a larger company there is a much bigger variety of high-end defices.

And don't look at me. It's just a preference. And for a reason.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-15 19:41
@Mode

That takes me back and makes me all nostalgic for what i classify as the good old days. Also excellent post with some very well made points. what i do find interesting is that those of us that do remember the Ericsson days seem constantly disappointed. Whilst those that don't just want to be loyal to SE what ever they do because they are SE and view any criticism as a betrayal.

All of these points where clearly stated in the what if Sony and Ericsson where to split thread. Now SE have proved they do have access to the right tech as they have used it all in the K850 there is nothing in that device that is missing IMO. SE just need to start putting this in their flagship smart phone devices and IMO take UIQ3 and seriously sort it out once and for all.

Even more important then all of the above IMO is they need to seriously look at how they communicate and treat their loyal fan base as this IMO is the other area where there behaviour has become truly unacceptable. As mentioned many times by users calling the customer support helpline is only slightly better than useless in most instances.

Also like other manufacturers SE needs to wake up and realise we live in a global market and IMO all devices especially under a year old should have a world wide warranty with no need for proof of purchase needed. Where or how you get your device should have no relation to getting warranty work carried out and less than Year old devices should certainly not have firmware updates stopped especially when they still are in need of them.

Well that's my little rant over and the things that really annoy me currently about SE hope fully they will change otherwise i will continue to look else where for my devices.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-15 18:44 ]
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-15 20:02
SE is more like S
only about profits, promoting sony brands and stuff.
Nothing feels like it came from Ericsson.
and now that SE has changed their UI, using a seperate answer and don't aswer button. thats plain stupid! its a waste of space on the keyboard, the selection keys are good enough to be used as those keys. and if they want to use them, use them like ericsson did, YES/NO buttons.

this year will be the last year i'll buy an SE, probably a K810i, but next year it won't be, it will be a Neonode or an Iphone.

i hope that the loyal ericsson fans will folow me, as will hopefully everybody who is a pioneer, and early adapter or someone who loves inovation.
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi