Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Nokia 7210 Recalled in UK.....

12  Next
Author Nokia 7210 Recalled in UK.....
Chaser81
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2002-12-11 18:47
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
With reference to a post on here by another member informing us all that the nokia 7210 had been withdrawn from the market in the UK, I just wanted to clarify the situation regarding the phone.

The Nokia 7210 has been officially recalled by T-Mobile UK, as it's specific version of the phone experiences major software issues with regards to picture messaging (high level of delivery failures) as well as software freezes (apparently caused by radio interference).

Because of the problems with the phone, T-Mobile has decided to recall stocks of the phone from the retailers and delay its release until these problems can be rectified.

Anyways, as someone who works in a retailer, and has had a chance to confirm where the problem lies through T-Mobile themselves, I just thought I would pass along what I know.

It should be noted that the Vodafone and O2 versions of the phone are apparently unaffected by the problems.

Hope that helps guys.
ShibbyLicious
Z600
PM
Posted: 2002-12-11 19:59
Coolio......NOT for nokia! :p the other post you refer to does also mention that o2 have also officially put back its launch of 7210 for exactly the same reasons...so big problems for nokia,but den wat do u expect when it knocks out 30 phones this year n another 24next year so when on earth they have time to actually test their sw n handsets i dunno!i still to this day though have never read or seen a press release from nokia regarding any issues wit their sw which 2 me just says they dont care! Shibby

This post was posted from a T68i

pachy
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2002-12-11 20:18
The worst thing is IF Nokia put out the 7210 as THEIR answer to t68, they have had 18mnths to get it right, my last Nokia the 8210 went back 3 times for scrambled sceens, AND the Nokia before that. i`ve had a t68 now for 13mnths IT`S NEVER needed service attention & it gets hard use. once it was eaten by wolves (a complete lie) & still OK
Chaser81
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2002-12-12 10:47
Yeah, I checked with O2 this morning, and they have put their release of the 7210 back quoting a number of problems with the handset, though they wouldn't be specific, something to do with the phones being supplied without the correct settings on them, so they are holding it back until they can put the correct settings on it.
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-12 10:55
Shibbi is right!nokia doesnt give a f@ck.they lauched 32 models but don't know if u r aware of the fact that all r made on ONLY 4 platforms so they r pretty much the same as sw!the buyers test it,and SE will do the same with the p800 lol don't think otherwise,it's commom practice:(

This post was posted from a Nokia

Super G
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-12-12 11:02
Settings?!??
There's a HUGE difference between wrong settings (I assume O2 specific) and bugs or whatever...

And you mention software freezes due to interference... C'mon
Or can you be more explicit

I've used MMS, GPRS, HSCSD, etc on my 7210, and all works perfectly! I receive MMS properly, I can send some properly etc.
Do you have any link to what you say (the T-mobile UK as well as O2 UK websites have no mention on these things)

As I said previously the only "bug" I found is when listening to the tones in the gallery, the volume is maximum no matter what.
Chaser81
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2002-12-12 13:16
Hey man, relax. If you read what I have said, I havent ventured any personal opinions on the phone, I'm not trying to slag it off deliberately here, so dont start having a pop at me.

There is no link to this information on the net, because I got it from O2 and T-Mobile Trade Support themselves. Like I said, I work in a retailer. I asked them to send me something in writing pertaining to this so that I could post it, but they refused.

As for being more specific, I asked, but thats all the information they had (or would give me). The T-Mobile problem IS a big one, and has caused them to recall all stock of the 7210, from ALL uk retailers until they can get the problem sorted out.

The O2 problem doesnt sound that massive; from what I can gather its a simple case of the phones being supplied from Nokia without any settings installed upon them, so O2 is holding the release back a little bit to give them a chance to put the settings onto the phone themselves.
ShibbyLicious
Z600
PM
Posted: 2002-12-12 17:18
heres the 02 info for you

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/59/28158.html

for those on wap who fancy a long read, heres the full story

O2 puts Nokia 7210 on hold, claiming software problems
By John Lettice
Posted: 18/11/2002 at 17:06 GMT

Mobile phone network O2 has pulled back the release of Nokia's classy new 7210 'fashion phone', citing problems with the version of the software it has been testing.

In an email which has been passed to The Register O2 says: "We have identified problems with the current version of the handset (software release 3.09) which has restricted further testing from being completed. For this reason, we cannot approve the current release of software for this product."

A Nokia spokesman confirmed one problem with the phone, an issue with larger pictures sent from a 7650 to a 7210, but says this is being fixed in a new software build due out tomorrow. The other ones identified by O2, he said, were quite possibly O2 network problems.

According to O2:

"1) The device will often soft reset when the user is deleting a text message
2) The device will often hang, with no audible or vibrating alert to inform the user of an incoming call
3) The device will intermittently lose network coverage after a cell change
4) The device will show coverage but the user will be unable to make or receive a call
5) Issues with MMS"

The 7210 is already on sale from several outlets in the UK, including Vodafone and Carphone Warehouse. Oddly, although what looks like it might have been a handy Nokia guide to troubleshooting common problems with the 7210 apparently existed once, for some mysterious reason the current version of the page doesn't mention it, or where you might find it now.

And while we're doing silly links, for those of you wondering if it's possible to find a picture of the 7210 on the Nokia site where some attractive young model doesn't get in the way, the answer is no, definitely not. ®

the shibster is on the case
alpha tag
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-12 20:29
looks like nokia is downgrading in quality, while SE is upgrading in quality
Mobile handset(s):
1. PROTOTYPE TU2 Ericsson R520m CE. (Made: 00W43).
2. Rose White T39mc. (Flashed to T39m).
3. Icy Blue Sony Ericsson T200. (Water-damage revival!).
NetGuy2
Z600
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-12 20:44
I never has this problems with my nokia 7210:

According to O2:

"1) The device will often soft reset when the user is deleting a text message
2) The device will often hang, with no audible or vibrating alert to inform the user of an incoming call
3) The device will intermittently lose network coverage after a cell change
4) The device will show coverage but the user will be unable to make or receive a call
5) Issues with MMS"
Caspa
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2002-12-12 21:37
The Tmob stuff is right they have got issues with the handset and release should (as far as they say now) be in Jan... As for O2, this is old news and we are selling them now and have been for a while...

wapchimp
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-12 22:05
Orange phones are fine aswell-well as fine as a nokia can be

orange
R520
PM
Posted: 2002-12-13 09:36

British operators have so crappy networks, that I don't wonder if something doesn't work there. The same phone works basicly anywhere else, but not in Britain. What might be the problem?!?!
ShibbyLicious
Z600
PM
Posted: 2002-12-13 12:40
@caspa

soooooooooo sorry for bringin old news, but the poeple asked for where the info came from and the people now have their answer

not all of us work in the industry or read industry related literature dude so as old as it maybe to u/me/us to others its new info

tis the point of the forum to enlighten all and share knowledge for knowledge is power and with great power comes great responsibilty and with responsibilty comes control which if lost causes confusion causing insecurity causing fear which leads to which leads to hate which leads to suffering which leads to the DARK SIDE that is NOKIA !!!

so you see old news is good news and in fact saving the world from nokia

*ps not a personal dig just its frustrating when you post info for peeps and then it gets labelled as bein 'sooooooo last year' etc*

the shibster will now rest

shibby
wapchimp
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-12-14 05:56
Orange are strict as shit on software - this causes delays blah blah blah - there are still cock-ups though - 7110, V66, 8310, & T68 - all had software bugs - not network problem - manuafacturers & networks don't work closely together to develope handstes & iron out bugs - what works for one network won't nessesarily work for another. [addsig]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi