Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Apple > iPhone 3GS discussion

Previous  123 ... 303132 ... 636465  Next
Author iPhone 3GS discussion
tomjsmith000
S700
PM
Posted: 2009-09-10 16:27
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I know exactly what you mean. The iPhone really is a work of art in my opinion. However! I dislike much of Apples software, iTunes is painfully slow to start up and syncing is made very easy at all, Quicktime is god awful and many features are saved for "Pro" users. Apple should be using this software to advertise themselves. Even know I know that they would both run 10 times better on a mac I like the fact that I can upgrade my PC is any way I want hassle-free (I built it in the first place) and that it'll run 99.9999% of software out there unlike Mac OS. Apple users would no doubt say at this point "But Mac OS can emmulate windows" and my response would be "you shouldn't have to".

The way I see it is Mac OS is good for new users i.e. parents and older people; while WIndows is for more experienced people however the opposite tends to happen.
scottt
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-09-10 16:41
Updated last night not really much difference to me on the 3.1 side of things but iTunes is definitely an improvement.

The App Management is a revelation such a small thing which will add a big difference....
I my 32GB iPhone 3GS

tomjsmith000
S700
PM
Posted: 2009-09-10 16:59
Just to clarify, iPhone 3.1 synced to the new iTunes can still be unlocked right?

I'm getting one soon believe it or not!
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-09-10 17:30
AFAIK 3.1 can't be jailbroken as yet (or at least the devteam have advised people not to update yet) which presumably means it can't be unlocked... but I'm sure it's just a matter of days before that will change. Having said that, I took the easy route of just getting the phone on O2, so I've not had to bother with any of that.

The way I see it is Mac OS is good for new users i.e. parents and older people; while WIndows is for more experienced people however the opposite tends to happen.

I think in some ways it's similar to what you see with the iPhone vs. WinMo argument - yes, many of those Windows Mobile phones can do more and have "better" specs on paper, but in practice the Apple device is so much nicer to use it's actually a lot more functional. I've been using Windows since the days of 3.1 but I've come to realise the same thing is true - yes it's the most open OS, the most commonly supported, the most widely used, but it's also a complete PITA and always has been. I believe in better!
tomjsmith000
S700
PM
Posted: 2009-09-10 17:44
I agree with the iPhone WinMo arguement. Before iPhone there just weren't touchscreen phones that didn't use a stylus.

The secret to any phone or OS in my opinion is all about the interface. It's the comprimise between complexity and functionality that phones tend to get wrong and to use an "iPhone clone" by any of the big manufacturers like Samsung and LG, etc is just a painful experience after the iPhone. And a big part of the interface is eye candy and smooth little animations, etc which Apple have done perfectly.

Moving onto PCs I see them as a completely different ballgame because PCs are used when you're sitting down with a very accurate mouse, you want sheer functionality in my opinion. Phones are used out and about and on the move so needs to be simple and easy to use (where WinMo just emulated very precise mouse clicks).

I wish I was savvy enough to create my own interfaces for devices. Maybe one day I'll learn.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-09-10 18:28

On 2009-09-10 17:44:32, tomjsmith000 wrote:
Moving onto PCs I see them as a completely different ballgame because PCs are used when you're sitting down with a very accurate mouse, you want sheer functionality in my opinion. Phones are used out and about and on the move so needs to be simple and easy to use (where WinMo just emulated very precise mouse clicks).

I pretty much agree with that, but at the same time, interface is still important - nobody wants to have to make any more effort than they need to in order to achieve a given task, otherwise we'd all still be using DOS (and hey, I quite liked DOS, I used to write .bat files for everything). So there's a sweet spot to be found somewhere between functionality and ease of use, and I guess it's just down to the eye of the beholder who gets that one right.

But for me, the real problem with Windows isn't so much the interface, but all the problems under the surface that inevitably slow things down and clog the system up - to the point where just booting up has become almost unbearable on our home PC. I like the idea of a computer that doesn't have to waste all its resources in the background running antivirus, and doesn't have a registry to get choked up over time.
tomjsmith000
S700
PM
Posted: 2009-09-10 18:48
Yeah that's true. Over the years I've learned that the only way to keep windows running well is to reinstall it every few months. You learn to back up important stuff and keep things very light. I have found an anti-virus that is very light and I keep start-up time to a minimum. I've only recently learned to do this stuff and I'm quite an avid PC user. Spose you shouldn't have to do this but I'm used to it and live with it. I've actually downgraded from Vista to XP because XP in my opinion has only just become stable and good.

Anyway! Back to iPhones! I would vry much like the 3GS but am not going to pay that much for it. Anyone who has spent lots of money to upgrade from a 3G to a 3GS needs therapy.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-09-10 18:59
updating mine now... here's the full list of changes from apple

iPhone OS 3.1 Software Update

This update contains bug fixes and improvements, including the following:

• Genius recommendations for Applications
• iTunes 9 support
- Genius Mixes
- Organize your apps directly in iTunes
- Improved syncing options for music, movies, TV
shows, podcasts and photos
- iTunes U content organization
• Redeem iTunes Gift cards, codes and certificates in the
App Store
• Display available iTunes account credits in the App Store
and iTunes Store
• Browse and download ringtones wirelessly from the
iTunes Store*
• Save video from Mail and MMS into Camera Roll
• Option to "Save as new clip" when trimming a video on
iPhone 3GS
• Better iPhone 3G Wi-Fi performance when Bluetooth is
turned on
• Remotely lock iPhone with a passcode via MobileMe
• Use Voice Control on iPhone 3GS with Bluetooth
headsets
• Paste phone numbers into the Keypad
• Option to use Home button to turn on Accessibility
features on iPhone 3GS
• Warn when visiting fraudulent websites in Safari (anti-
phishing)
• Improved Exchange calendar syncing and invitation
handling
• Fixes issue that caused some app icons to display
incorrectly
londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2009-09-10 19:52
Shame, I was hoping they would announce the iPhone 3gs 8gb version with a more reasonable price yesterday. £440 is just too much if you don't need 16gb or even if you do IMO.
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2009-09-10 22:05

On 2009-09-10 18:59:43, masseur wrote:
• Paste phone numbers into the Keypad

Why was this not in 3.0? Surely copy and paste is just that, it doesn't specify were you can and can't paste to!?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-09-10 22:47
cant say I recall that as a limitation previously as generally you can dial from where you see a number...

I do like the itunes updates...
here's the app management screen

...and here's the movie tab. I have 100+ music videos which get listed here and previously you had to go through an laboriously tick each one... now they have an "automatically include all" option(yeah!)

in the iphone 3.1 update... here's the app genius screen.. not too sure its suggestion my best possibilities yet

and now you can also see the top grossing apps too!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-09-10 23:56
hmmm... since the update I can't get weather, stocks or youtube via my home wifi although they all work fine via 3g

itunes, app store, safari and other internet apps all work fine via the wifi

anyone have similar?

btw, for any iphone developers out there... the 3.1 sdk is also now available, though I haven't read up yet on any API changes
tomjsmith000
S700
PM
Posted: 2009-09-11 00:11
Can you remove stocks, weather, youtube etc, with the new iTunes rearranging system?
Surely I'm not the only one whoh as never actually used the Stocks app?!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-09-11 00:23
as far as I can see... no. you have the same limitations with the app management that you have on the iphone itself

best you can do is move the unwanted apps off to a distant (last) desktop that you never visit

I actually like the stocks and weather app.. but despite having two seperate access points at home, neither work via either access point now and I don't know why
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-09-11 07:41
Stocks, YouTube and weather working fine on wifi here - that's on a 3G though. Tried a reboot?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 303132 ... 636465  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic