Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Arc S or mini pro?

Author Arc S or mini pro?
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2011-12-20 23:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Ive been reading some of the posts and looking at getting one of these phones.... Does anyone or has anyone owned both these phones that would like to share your experience with BOTH.... If you have NOT owned both phones, please be clear and say that in your reply.

But if you have or do own both Im looking for your opinon on which to buy... considering the following...

-I currently own an N8 (not sure thats even relevent)
-I like the size of the mini (sk17a)
-I "think" I like the camera better on the ArcS
-Size of screen is not very important as long as I can still accomplish the same basic tasks
-Don't do a ton of web browsing, music or video
-Mostly email and taking snapshots of stuff to send to other phones or post here
-I do not care about the price
-batter life is semi-important
-call quality does not at all matter (I use maybe 200 voice minutes/month)
-low light photo quality is pretty important

I hope thats a good amount of info..... what are your thoughts?
[addsig]
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2011-12-21 00:36
If low light photos are important, then you should go for the Arc S. The back-lit sensor supposedly deals with that. Don't expect xenon flash miracles, though. as it only has an LED one (both do, actually). AFAIK, the N8 is the most recent mass-market phone with a xenon one. A pity, if you ask me.

The only reason you might want to pick the mini pro is the keyboard and compactness (and price, but that's irrelevant for you). I'd personally choose the arc S.

Oh, I own neither, but I have handled both.
pt020
W800
PM
Posted: 2011-12-21 09:44
My girl friend has the Arc and I have the Mini Pro.
this 2 phones are so different in size,screen,keyboard,price ....that it would be dificult to compare them.
What can I say about this 2 phones is that the Mini is the better deal and everyone likes it ..(even iSheeps .)
Arc is a very good looking phone, a matter of taste.
It is very elegant but for me a bit too elegant,Mini is small and sweet. (and in white very good looking too)
Android is just the same so they both can do same things and you will find your way on both of them very easy.
The mini is faster then the Arc becouse it's screen size but the Arc S must be faster.
If you have good eyes the Mini is good enough,if you can't see so well go for the bigger screen.
The Arc has another 2 big + ... its camera is better in low light and in day light.
Second + is the HDMI connection that I really miss on my Mini.
Battery life is the same on both ... you will have to charge them both everyday.
You write that you text alot ...in that the mini is the better phone, its physical keyboard is way better then the touch screen.
We both use the MW600 bluetooth headset and call quality is very good on both.
Also here it was not a question of price it was more the personal preference and if I had the choice again I would still go for the Mini 100%! (she says the same about her Arc ).... but please SE make the next Mini 3 with an HDMI port if not I will be forced to get me a bigger phone.
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2011-12-21 17:06
@ pt020
WoW... thanks... that is some great info... would you mind taking some pictures with your phone and then the same exact pictures with your girls phone so I can see HOW BIG a difference the quality is..... one thing I did not mention is that I like to keep my phone in my pocket all the time which makes the mini a better choice... but I also find camera quality important... Im just wondering if the quality of the images are enough to justify the difference in size.

Which brings me to my next point.... how is the build quality on the mini.... I don't usually get phones with slide out keyboards and am wondering if that will be in issue while in my pocket? I use to have a xperia play but due to the sliding gamepad, I kept it in a holster on my belt.... I don't want to have to do that again

@NightBlade

I don't plan on comparing these to my N8 as I know that is not fair
I just really want to get another android phone since I dropped Verizon service and no longer use my xperia play I want something that sorta fills both needs... that of a device I can use all the android apps on while not so greatly compromising photo quality.... a plus is the fact that the mini is so small but if the photos are WAY behind the ARCs in terms of quality then maybe I just have to suck it up.... which is why I was seeking this info as Im well aware these are two very different devices that would normally not be compared to each other....

Thanks again to both of you!
[ This Message was edited by: mlife on 2011-12-21 16:08 ]
[addsig]
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-12-21 17:34
mlife, you can study pictures taken with both devices over at Gsmarena.com Very easy to compare since some of the motives are the same
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-12-21 18:17
If size is important, then I'd lke to chime in on the Xperia ray... which has an overall volume much less than the Mini or Mini Pro.

The screen of the ray is THE BEST among the current Xperia line (pixel density impresses me more than screen size) it has all the features of the Arc less the bulk. Not quite the Arc S, but for the reduction in size, if you don't need the 4" screen, the ray is hard to beat.
pt020
W800
PM
Posted: 2011-12-21 21:01
@ mlife For the pictures you gonna have to wait until the new year or as rikken said compare on GSMArena,busy days this week.
The quality of the mini could be better but yet again it is a 220 phone. I'm also not a fan of sliders and this one is not bad only the plastic it is made from makes too much noise and slider is a bit lose on the upper side when closed,when open it is very solid.
And i do not know what you are doing in your pocket that can open the phone .... it was never a problem here
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2011-12-21 22:56

On 2011-12-21 18:17:26, jplacson wrote:
If size is important, then I'd lke to chime in on the Xperia ray... which has an overall volume much less than the Mini or Mini Pro.

The screen of the ray is THE BEST among the current Xperia line (pixel density impresses me more than screen size) it has all the features of the Arc less the bulk. Not quite the Arc S, but for the reduction in size, if you don't need the 4" screen, the ray is hard to beat.

That ray is really cool... just looked them up on ebay and I can get the Gold one for about 350USD... not bad considering it may cover all my needs.... thanks for the suggestion. [addsig]
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2011-12-21 23:01

On 2011-12-21 21:01:02, pt020 wrote:
@ mlife For the pictures you gonna have to wait until the new year or as rikken said compare on GSMArena,busy days this week.
The quality of the mini could be better but yet again it is a 220 phone. I'm also not a fan of sliders and this one is not bad only the plastic it is made from makes too much noise and slider is a bit lose on the upper side when closed,when open it is very solid.
And i do not know what you are doing in your pocket that can open the phone .... it was never a problem here

its not that Im worried about the phone opening in my pocket... it was more a thought about long term of pressure of being in there and how that would over time loosen the slider

I was also not aware the Ray was available in a USA/AT&T version.... I think that my be a good andorid phone for daily use... I can then just keep my N8 for vacations and weekends.

[addsig]
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-12-22 12:19
I dont own either but handled both, plus the Play.

Id take Arc S, its very elegant, lovely to handle, and the UI is INCREDIBLY smooth thanks to that new CPU, it also feels far more solid IMO.
Another thing, IMO Android is best when experienced on a large hi-res display, more compatible apps and games and better overall experience.

Xperia Ray would be the best realy, it has a compact design and hi-res display, best of both worlds.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi