Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Why is Apple Scared of Sony ?

1234  Next
Author Why is Apple Scared of Sony ?
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2012-06-13 08:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Now I really wonder why Apple never sued Sony ? They sued Samsung, which provides a lot of components to them and HTC and other Android vendors but never Sony ? Not just mobile manufacturers but Apple has targeted other consumer electronics firms as well and even Microsoft/Google but never Sony corporation/Sony Electronics/Sony Mobile (former Sony Ericsson)

Does anyone know why?
se-fan
Vivaz Silver
PM
Posted: 2012-06-13 08:24

On 2012-06-13 08:11:08, randomuser wrote:
Now I really wonder why Apple never sued Sony ? They sued Samsung, which provides a lot of components to them and HTC and other Android vendors but never Sony ? Not just mobile manufacturers but Apple has targeted other consumer electronics firms as well and even Microsoft/Google but never Sony corporation/Sony Electronics/Sony Mobile (former Sony Ericsson)

Does anyone know why?

Because then al Ericsson patents would be usel against them....
if you cant choose what phone you should buy, buy an Sonyericsson
Platia1
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2012-06-13 08:26
You would be stupid to sue Sony.

They have tonnes of patents relating to consumer electronics, as well as full posession of all patents from Sony Ericsson and I think they bought or at least have a licence to some of Ericsson's patents as well (I know they have a licence for all of it but don't know how many they bought)

If Apple sued them, they would probably get crushed under a monster of a counter sue. Sony have a lot more history than a lot of the competitors Apple are suing.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-06-13 09:44
A part of me doubts its about patents as in that department Samsung has one of if not the largest mobile patent portfolios, if not the largest then the 2nd largest after Nokia, AFAIK.

It seems to me Apple never saw Sony as a major threat, nor LG or RIM either as i recall they didn't sue them either. Apple targetted mainly their biggest threats in the USA, those are Samsung, HTC and Motorola, they knew if they could stop sales of one of the above, especially Samsung, they could hurt Android sales greatly ,sueing Sony wouldn't bring the same impact.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2012-06-13 10:03
If Sony had their financial crisis solved and began their true venture to competitiveness then I'm pretty sure Apple would start looking for their patent encyclopedia and start attacking them, but unlike Samsung, Sony is a much more serious opponent when it comes to IP. BTQ has anyone seen Sony copying Apple in at least one time? well funny thing is that Sony started some of the design trends that apple is currently using, I'm pretty sure everyone knows who build the first laptop with an island keyboard design?
10 years at Esato
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2012-06-13 10:40
I remember Bert Nordberg said in a interview that S(E) with backing from Ericsson was practically "unsueable"
[ This Message was edited by: motvikt on 2012-06-13 10:02 ]
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2012-06-13 10:42
^^ And what exactly does that mean with regards to the subject

Now I get your point
[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2012-06-13 12:18 ]
10 years at Esato
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2012-06-13 10:57

On 2012-06-13 10:42:39, razec wrote:
^^ And what exactly does that mean with regards to the subject

Huh? What do you mean? I said that S(E) cant be sued, how is that irrelevant to the topic?
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2012-06-13 12:44
^^ Dude, don't get me wrong, I'm just having trouble understanding your post
10 years at Esato
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2012-06-13 13:03

On 2012-06-13 12:44:26, razec wrote:
^^ Dude, don't get me wrong, I'm just having trouble understanding your post

Heh, no problem. I realized I had spelled "unsueable" (even though its not a real word) wrong
djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-06-13 13:13
Steve jobs liked sony, infact apple itself was inspired by sony. That love + patents = no sue. But once, if, sony does change and become successful again, especially in the mobile segment, then its unpredictable as to what will happen. So far they have only gone against people who are more recent in the mobile area such as htc, samsung, etc. When they tried suing some one older such as nokia, they got sued back for much more patents and ended up paying them. Ericsson, sony and sony ericsson have been in this business for much longer time, and they would obviously be more loaded.

Ever wondered why microsoft never sued sony but htc, samsung, all new comers have to pay royalty fees for making android? Probably due to the same reason, patents.
Xperia T + N 96

R.I.P Desire
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2012-06-13 13:14
^^ That makes me think that Sony is one the strongest force in the mobile market
10 years at Esato
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-06-13 13:23
I don't think it's about being a threat only. Sony has been around longer than Samsung or most other big electronic companies. Sony has more of its own patents or ideas of it's own that stand out and are original to most others. Take Xperia phones they look completely different to anything else out there. Sony has alot more going for it than Apple and I don't mean as in mobiles.
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-06-13 14:04
Motorola have been around the longest, longer than Sony in the mobile industry AFAIK, and havn a huge patent portfolio, yet they have been sued.

IMO, i dont think Apple's lawyers saw any benefit in suing Sony, they are barely making a profit in all their departments except PlayStation and arent even in the top5 in terms of marketshare in mobile, nor is their growth rate amazing. If Sony were in Samsung's position right now im sure they'd be in and out of court with Apple just as much as Samsung and HTC, Steve Jobs felt betrayed by Eric Schmidt, and would stop at nothing to destroy Android, and what that meant is going after the top brands in Android. Notice how LG hasn't been sued either.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Sugarkane
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-06-13 14:10
Maybe because Sony won't to do an iWannabeiPhone?
And go against who have massive patents of mobile communication (GSM techwise) will result in iApples making calls via telepathy. (kidding but almost this)
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi