Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Ericsson to offer exciting mobile music - Sony Ericsson to release walkman phones!

Author Sony Ericsson to offer exciting mobile music - Sony Ericsson to release walkman phones!
vanquish
V600
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-14 17:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
BBC ARTICLE:

Sony Ericsson lanches walkmans!

See post below for more info!

SE PRESS RELEASE:

Sony Ericsson to offer exciting mobile music solution in collaboration with Sony Group companies
14th February 2005, at 3GSM world congress, Cannes, France

"3GSM World Congress, Cannes, France – 14 February, 2005 - Sony Ericsson announces its mobile music strategy for 2005 including the integration of high quality digital music players into stylish mobile phones under the world famous Walkman® brand. This will create a compelling consumer proposition capable of redefining the digital music market and driving operator revenue. Based entirely on open standards, the strategy will focus on delivering easy-to-use music phones supported by a full range of exciting music download services including Sony Group digital music offering.

A credible mobile music player must combine a wide variety of key features such as easy-to-use software to copy music to the device, large music storage capacity, long battery life, quality headphones and cutting edge design. Sony Ericsson will integrate these with advanced phone functions such as excellent voice, messaging, imaging, and on-line connectivity, to give a device that not only satisfies consumer needs, but also offers great opportunities for network operators to develop new and exciting services.

“The Walkman® showed us that people of every generation love listening to music while on the move, and we believe the mobile phone is the perfect device to extend the world of digital mobile music to a much wider audience,” says Miles Flint, president of Sony Ericsson. “Since its creation, Sony has sold more than 340 million units of Walkman® branded music devices globally, illustrating the mass appeal of mobile music. Sony Ericsson is proud to write a new chapter in the Walkman® story".

Sony Ericsson’s range of Walkman®-branded phones will support the most popular digital music file formats and services. Sony Ericsson believes that supporting open standards is the best way of offering operators and consumers both the highest quality and widest choice of services to meet their individual needs. In support of this, Sony Ericsson announces its collaboration with Sony’s music download service Connect™, which will open on-line digital music purchasing to mobile phone users in various countries around the world. The Connect™ service is currently available in the US, UK, France, Germany and the Netherlands and is expanding rapidly. Since its launch in 2004, Connect™ has attracted hundreds of thousands of registered subscribers and is already compatible with millions of portable Sony devices.

The first Walkman® branded Sony Ericsson music phones will be announced in March and enable users to transfer their existing CD collections to their phones via a PC. Future products will be capable of playing copy-protected music files purchased and downloaded via a PC from the Internet or direct to the phone.

Sony Ericsson’s successful P900 and P910 smartphones already support the world’s first personalised mobile streaming solution, offered by an operator in Finland under Sony’s StreamMan brand. PlayNow™, Sony Ericsson’s popular ringtone download service, operated on a global basis in conjunction with Sony BMG Music Entertainment, has attracted hundreds of thousands of users in its first months of operation.

Sony Ericsson will continue to work with a number of music partners including Sony Group companies to offer attractive and easy-to-use consumer download and music streaming services with more announcements later in the year.

Walkman® is the registered trademark of Sony Corporation

Connect™ is a trademark of Sony Corporation

PlayNow™ is the trademark of Sony Ericsson Mobile Communication

Sony Connect
The Connect service currently offers consumers over 800,000 music tracks from major label and independent artists, as well as the ability to enjoy that content on a wide range of digital music devices that are priced to suit any lifestyle."

This furthers on the press release HERE that explains that Sony Ericsson has got so far with the imaging industry in mobiles that it wishes to move onto focusing on music in 2005, what with being partnered with Sony, a major record deal company!

[ This Message was edited by: vanquish on 2005-02-14 16:58 ]

[ This Message was edited by: vanquish on 2005-02-15 08:35 ]

[ This Message was edited by: vanquish on 2005-02-15 11:17 ]
thanasis
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-02-14 18:04
This also, from reuters:

Sony Ericsson Set to Unveil Walkman Phones

CANNES, France (Reuters) - Swedish-Japanese mobile phone maker Sony Ericsson (news - web sites) (6758.T)(ERICb.ST) will launch digital Walkman phones in March to better tap into the mobile music market, seen as a top growth area for 2005, its head said on Monday.

"We are tapping into the Walkman heritage, reviving it," Chief Executive Miles Flint told Reuters in an interview, adding that more than 340 million Walkman music players have been sold since its introduction in 1979.

Prototypes of the new handsets were not yet available at the 3GSM mobile communications trade show in Cannes, but the announcement makes clear that the world's sixth biggest mobile phone maker and its wireless operator customers have identified music as major growth opportunity, Flint said.

Flint's comments come on the same day Nokia (news - web sites) announced it had struck a deal with Microsoft to put Microsoft's Windows Audio player in Nokia handsets. In a bid to reach a wider audience, Microsoft also said it will use open standards for its compression and anti-piracy software in its audio player.

Some of Sony Ericsson's models already feature a digital music player, but the new handsets will have more music playing features and will get access to Sony's digital download service on the Internet, called Connect.

The new Walkman phones, which will be available early in the second half of 2005, will have large memory, good quality headphones and the ability to easily import tracks from a personal computer and other devices.

The Walkman phones will also be the first networked Walkmans to use open software standards for compression and piracy protection.

At the same time, Sony's Connect music store will also introduce open standard software to compress tracks and protect them against piracy, Flint said. Sony currently uses its proprietary ATRAC and MagicGate technology to do that.

"But Sony's strategy is evolving. Don't worry about (proprietary) ATRAC," Flint said.

Flint said that mobile services operators were the main force behind this drive to open standards, which gives consumers more freedom to buy music online and enjoy their legally purchased music on a wide range of devices, instead of a small selection.

"With this initiative we're not locking consumers into a proprietary digital rights management (anti-piracy) system, which is what operators want," he said.

The music-player handsets are to be "competitively priced" and are likely to work both with the fast 3G networks as well as the slower "always online" GPRS networks.

Sony Ericsson, the world's sixth biggest mobile phone maker, also announced two new 3G handsets with megapixel cameras on Monday.

The K600 will be a medium-priced mobile phone aimed more at the corporate user, Flint said. It has a 1.3 megapixel camera, which means photos taken by it can be printed in post-card size with good quality and will start shipping in the third quarter.

The other 3G phone, the Z800, will ship in the second quarter.

vanquish
V600
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-14 18:06
Wow! Thats quite cool!

I mean, if are releasing Clara with a 2 megapixel camera, and will have 4 megapixel camera phones on the market, the Z800, V800, K600, and S700, then they are pretty much sorted for imaging this year. So having music as a turning point is quite clever, i think! [addsig]
mustafabay
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2005-02-14 18:54
@vanquish
Couldn't have said it better:)
Wow Walkman SE but is clara one of them or was clara just the biggest decoy in mobilephone history?
jack00
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-02-14 18:59
i don't think that they talk about clara, they talk about another phone - i'm very exited !
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2005-02-14 23:13
I just can't wait to see what the Walkman phones look like. They will have huge memory too.
Looks like We are finally seeing the fruits of this great partnership.
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-14 23:19
music is the thing to chose.
for next year i think it will be connectivity. bluetooth 2.0, wireless charging, 3G, quadband, usb,...

i wonder what effect the walkman logo will have. and i 2 am curius to found which phone it will be.

i hope SE will now stop pushing the MP cam market. 2MP is more then enough for this year. its still a phone and they don't give the same quality as nice cybershot has.
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-14 23:20
Cool! Hope the clara is the first of the walkman phones.

This message was posted from a T230

pinolo77
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-02-15 08:49
Finally something is moving in the right direction. Let's wait and see what new phones will be out this year.
T18s>T68(i)>T610>K700>K750i>K800i>?
vanquish
V600
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-15 09:16
Yes i agree Bart, but we musnt stop them fully, who knows, an amazing digicam discovery may arise this year! [addsig]
vanquish
V600
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-15 09:37
BBC have published an article about Sony Ericsson manufacturing Walkman phones:

Extract:

"Sony Ericsson has announced it will sell music-playing mobiles under its Walkman brand and will work closely with Sony Connect and Sony BMG, its music division, on content.

The company will unveil further details of its Walkman mobile in March.

It made the announcement at the 3GSM World Congress mobile phone trade fair held in the French town of Cannes.

Music by Sony BMG artist Natasha Bedingfield was played over a phone connected to loudspeakers at the event.

Sony Ericsson also launched three third-generation (3G) mobile phones in Cannes, including the Z800, a multimedia phone with a 1.3 megapixel camera, and the K600, a successor to the non-3G T6110............... "

View the full article here: Sony Ericsson launches walkmans

This is quite exciting!

[addsig]
tom83
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-02-15 10:59
very exiting news. Walkman is a very strong brand and this new direction of SE is a clear example of what the sony ericsson joint venture should have been about
vanquish
V600
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-15 11:04
Lets just hope they dont have to make space for another sticker, walkman and quickshare! [addsig]
Davo_169
T650 Gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-15 12:15
sounds cool
vanquish
V600
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-15 12:18
furthermore:

In a Swedish financial magazin the president of SE, Miles Flint, reveals that SE's strategy for 2005 is to release mobile phones with integrated music player that will be sold under the trade mark Walkman. The first one will be launched now in March. How much memory it will contain will not be revealed until then. But Miles Flint himself believes it will be possible to store around 6 to 10 records.

For Swedish readers, here is the link of the interview (no pictures)

http://www.di.se/Nyheter/?pag[....]on%3dStartsidan%3bHuvudnyheter

thanks to Arne Anka!

[ This Message was edited by: vanquish on 2005-02-15 11:18 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic